Thursday, October 30, 2008

ebooks/Project Gutenberg

I think the premise of ebooks is great but I'm not really a fan of ebooks, mainly because I find reading blocks of text very difficult to do on a screen. Also I'm rather partial to the feel and smell of 'real' books. However I have a friend who loves her ebook reader, she finds it fantastic as she does a lot of travel for her job and finds an ebook reader loaded with several books a lot more portable also with the screen being backlit she can read in the dark (under the covers)or so she tells me.
I went and checked out Project Gutenberg - not a very pretty site to look at but free books to download so who cares? Also had a look at the top 100 titles and found it interesting that the most popular by far was the 'Manual of Surgery Volume First: General Surgery. Sixth Edition. by Miles and Thomson' with 1246 downloads. I have visions of people, ebook reader in one hand and scalpel in the other... DYI surgery anyone?

No comments: