Monday, July 12, 2010

Week 6 : Facebook - playing nicely with others


Okay it's time for me to fess up - I'm a fan of Facebook, I visit it everyday. In fact when I was away recently, and had no internet access, I think I suffered FB withdrawal. Yeah sure it's not perfect and I know lots of people are concerned about it's security. However if you take precautions like making your page only available to friends, and then only accepting friend requests from people you actually know, as in you've actually met them, then you should be okay. I find it a great way to keep up with all my friends and family who are scattered around the world.

I went and looked at The New York Public Library page and found it to be very similar to ours, with lots of what's happening, reading suggestions etc. One thing that I thought was a great idea that we may be able to use was their 'AskNYPL: Chat with a Librarian' feature. Another thing that caught my eye was one particular post thanking the people of NY for writing in to get some of the proposed $37 million budget cut restored so that they can open 5 days a week instead of only 3. Unbelievable, makes us realise how lucky we are. I think that FB is a great tool to use in keeping our patrons up-to-date with whats happening at Manukau libraries and they are also able to interact with us if they wish to.

1 comment:

tosca said...

Hi de hi. YUSS! I'm glad you put in writing what I tell ppl all the blasted time: Facebook's privacy policies will only catch you out if you're not really thinking about who you add and what you say/post and to whom. Great point that it's a really good way to keep in touch with family/friends overseas (most of my relatives improve by internet).

I'm a big fan of NYPL (esp. their downloadable media *sigh*) and am glad to hear that their Facebook page is much like ours (only slightly better LOL). As for the chat with a librarian idea, that's something I've been wanting to do for the last 2 years but am realistic about the fact that it would need to have branch staff running it on a roster. I'd even mocked up a roster to show how it could work. One of these days I'm going to float it...